Saturday, March 24, 2012

Prayer And Solitude

Prayer is talking with God. How complicated can that be? We have conversations with people all day long and feel like we have communicated well. So why do we feel insecurity about whether or not God has heard us or that he cares? Why do we struggle over finding the time to talk with God and what to talk about? If God is so interested in me, why is it so difficult to connect with him?

I am convinced that LISTENING to God is becoming a lost art. Many struggle with their prayer lives because of this. One sided conversations become boring and rote to both the listener and the speaker. It is the same with God as with any human.

During a church talk, I challenged people to find a quiet place during the next week and sit for one hour, praying however they wanted. If one was stuck, one could read a short passage of Scripture to get the conversation going...but reading the Bible should only take a small portion of the time. Six people told me how unrealistic this was because they were too busy. One even said they wouldn't know how to do this for ten minutes! The greatest discouragement for me was that one of these people was the pastor, one was his wife, and one was an elder at the church! As I pried a little deeper, the issue for these people (as it is for most of us) wasn't finding the time. It was not knowing what to do with that time. I have no doubt that you or anybody could find an hour (or more) a day to sit quietly with a Bible and converse with the Lord.

But in our efficient, productivity focused mindset that wears "I'm so busy" as a badge of honor, we have truly lost the art of listening to God. We are afraid of our failures, sinfulness, and the pain that will arise in us if left alone with only ourselves. Which shows us how little we are experiencing the true God. Therefore, our prayer lives are not about connecting anymore. They are about getting the right words out and praying for the right things. If this is all prayer is, then we would do well to re-learn how to listen to God in prayer.

At the risk of sounding like a mystic (I was actually classified as a monk at the labor office for one year--true story), I propose that we MUST re-focus some of our prayer time on listening...not talking. This involves some of the classic spiritual disciplines of quiet, solitude, meditation, Lectio Divina, and reflection as a way to get to know God personally through prayer. These are some ways to help us get beyond the intellectual study of Scripture and the recitation of prayer lists.

If you agree with me and want to make a quick start at this, here is my suggestion. Grab your Bible, find a quiet place where you won't be disturbed or distracted (a park, in the woods, in a locked room at home). Read a passage of Scripture and reflect on it for a while. Don't try to figure out the passage too much or remember the original Greek! Rather try to put yourself in the story. What do you hear? What do you see? What do you feel? Play with the story in your mind a little while. Then tell God what strikes you from the passage. Ask him how he felt about the event or where He was during that time. Remember that prayer is communication with the person of God. Just as we "share from our heart" with another person, we do this with God AND He does it with us.

If you are interested in spending more time re-capturing the art of listening to God, I would suggest the classic "Celebration of Discipline" by Richard J. Foster. The first two disciplines he talks about are meditation and prayer.

Would you consider leaving a comment or emailing me the answer to this question....How do you listen to God in your prayer life or your daily life?


11 comments:

  1. Something I enjoy when I do it and something that is so hard to do somehow...spend time reflecting and listening to God. I love to read a passage and ask God to direct what He wants me to learn/apply from that passage. Often it is just the reminder that He is with me, is powerful and involved in my life. Such an encouragement!

    Often songs come to mind that are scripture and are God's speaking to me as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your testimony. I am glad you spend time listening to God!

      Delete
    2. Great Blog Tom! Last weekend we had a Men's Advance (formerly known as Retreat) Our theme was "For God's Sake Rest" based on the book by Jim Anderson. We took time on Saturday am for a 2 hour personal sabbath retreat to be still and listen to God. The weather was warm and so the men spread out all over the campground. Several plan to continue this on a regular basis.
      If you an access to the "Jesus Calling" Devotional book, (I think Diane gave one to Dora) check out the reading for February 10th. Keep on resting and listening!

      Delete
    3. Brian, that sounds like a great time for the men. I still have a copy of the book by Jim Anderson that you left with our field. We have had it for a while here and I have used parts of it to teach. And Dora does have the "Jesus Calling" book. I will take a look at it. When will you do the Men's Advance again? Probably not this summer when we are in the States :-(

      Delete
  2. I love this idea and really wish we didn't always push quiet time with God to the back burner. I see it as a problem for me everyday. When I do my Bible study, somedays I find myself doing something else too. Like eating or snacking. Most days before I dig in the Word I ask God to focus me and to have things pop off the page and sink into my heart. On these days I ask, He is faithful and it happens. I love that about our God! He is speaking, but are we always listening? Unfortunately, that is a no in my life. Thank you for reminding me to listen as well as speak. After all, he already knows what is in/on our hearts, we don't have to speak at all. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "He is speaking, but are we always listening?" That is a profound question and a good reminder that our lack of listening to God is not a block from his side. He is constantly available to us, leading, and ready to just be with us.

      Delete
  3. I accept your challenge this week,Tom. You wrote "We are afraid of our failures, sinfulness, and the pain that will arise in us if left alone with only ourselves". This is definitely true for me! But what amazing freedom on the other side, when I abandon putting God in a scripted box, and locking up my inner self in some dark closet. lp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to hear you accept the challenge! Let me know if there is anything I can specifically be praying for or any other way I can help out.

      That picture of locking up your inner self in some dark closet reminds me of a profound experience/realization I had that God is in the "dark closet" and knows what shame and guilt is there. He is as present there as he is in any sunny, warm day when we feel good. That is what allows us to face those things that we try so hard to hide away.

      Delete
  4. I appreciate these thoughts, Tom. I do find comfort for my pain and help for my failures and challenges to my sin when I read Scripture with a thought to hear from God in it. I also find that it is hard to find/make time for this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your honesty about finding time to make for this. It is a real struggle for us humans and we must talk about it and keep it in the light.

      Delete
  5. The line that stands out to me the most and that I need to hear most is... "Which shows us how little we are experiencing the true God." I think I'm expecting something different than the true God... so I avoid... but I am so desperate for Him. Sometimes I wonder if that 'true' God is just a figment of my imagination that I've made up to make myself feel better. (And I've been told I'm too hard on myself!) I needed this reminder to find solitude, to just listen. Lately am feeling so at sea without a direction. Going to try this.

    ReplyDelete