Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Prayer for Orphans


I can think of a hundred reasons why I shouldn't write this post today. All of them have to do with how this could be taken or how I will be seen when you read this. But I have been talking more and more lately about my "mystic" tendencies, so I will risk sharing this publicly. It is a true story about my encounter with God in prayer and an invitation to intercede for orphans in Haiti.

Last night we had a marvelous visit with an American family living temporarily in Prague. We were amazed at how many seemingly random connections we had. One of the biggest ones was that he and his family had served in Haiti after the earthquake. They had been at Operation Love The Children of Haiti, the orphanage where I visited in order to connect a Czech mission agency to short term work in Haiti. Furthermore, they are adopting a child who I remember interacting with (not talking with...I don't speak Creole.) This family has a real burden for this child because he is older, has been an orphan for a long time, and the process of adoption is taking so long. We spent time in intensive prayer for this boy and the speeding of the process of adoption.

So, with this on my mind and my heart, I was shocked to see a Facebook post from TouchGlobal about a different child who just died at the OLTCH orphanage. The story tells of one volunteer's grief and frustration at losing a child. I was very moved and fell quite naturally into intercessory prayer for the children and workers of this orphanage and others in Haiti. I had turned on an Internet radio station when I came into the study that was playing Christian music. I don't know when it cut off but sometime during my prayers, I noticed the overwhelming silence. In the long silence I felt the burden of intercession and what I can only name as God's grief over the orphans of Haiti and the families who will adopt them. After some time, I stood up from where I was sitting on the couch. At that moment, two things happened. First, I stood up into the sunlight streaming through the window and had to close my eyes because it was so bright. Second, the radio kicked on again and Jeremy Camp was singing these lines: "Power in hand speaking the Father's plan. You're sending us out, light in this broken land. We will overcome by the blood of the Lamb. And the word of our testimony, everyone overcome."

And the tears came. And I literally got on my knees to worship the Lord. And I met God in a deep way. And I felt compelled to write this testimony to His greatness, His ability to speak to his children, and His care for the widow and the orphan.

Can I ask you to take a moment and pray for the workers at OLTCH and other orphanages in Haiti, as well as the families going through the long, arduous, unpredictable process of adopting internationally?

asojourningsoul.blogspot.com

www.operationlovethechildrenofhaiti.org

3 comments:

  1. Oh, so sad to hear about children dying for any reason. It is a fact of life our bodies all die, but I always hope for a long happy life filled with love and family. I will pray today for those without love and family in their lives and pray that God moves in those who will open their lives and hearts to help these precious children. I always think that there is too much need for me to be able to help the BIG PICTURE, but God only asks me to do what I can do and to leave the rest to Him. He does miracles everyday so I just need to do what I can when He asks, so He can work those miracles. We won't see the BIG PICTURE anyway until He brings us home. I hope the prayers help in someway today. God Bless You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a special time of prayer we had last night that has continued through today. I loved hearing you talk about this before you wrote it and love how God is real and active and showing up!

    with continued prayer for widows, orphans and those oppressed as well as those interacting with them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very moving and beautiful. Thank you for sharing a very powerful moment. I believe strongly that God uses moments like that to let us know He is listening and very present.

    I will pray for the orphans, and for this particular family. I pray for those facing international adoption every day. All children need a loving home.

    Meredith

    ReplyDelete