Tuesday, November 25, 2014

The Fire of Revival in Romania

Pastor Florin, with red on his jacket, fields a question about the gypsy revival in Romania
"But how does it FEEL to share the gospel with other Gypsies?"  The question hung in the air as a room full of Gypsy pastors in Romania absorbed it.  This wasn't the normal methodological, missiological question that pastors are used to hearing, as evidenced by the long pause.  Jim Baker, my colleague, had bypassed the intellectual/volitional path that we are used to and was looking for a heart level answer. These pastors had been sharing the following stories (and more) about God's work and the rapid spread of the gospel in their area:

  • A dream that led a family to the church to be baptized.  
  • A village where 70% of the population was attends church and the subsequent closing of all the bars in the surrounding area.
  • A vision to preach the gospel in the non-Roma section of their villages.
Pastor Florin paused at the question and the translator asked if he understood.  "Yes, I understand."  After a short pause his eyes lit up and he continued, "It feels like a fire burning in me.  I can not NOT share the gospel.  People need to hear the good news and I must share it!"

He then continued to preach with energy (or descriptively "with fire") for several minutes about how the Gypsies needed to hear the gospel and the Romanians also needed to hear the gospel.  "Yes, they have treated us badly.  Yes, they have hated us and caused us great injustice but God tells us to love them and they need to hear the gospel.  God is the God of forgiveness and so we must be people who forgive."

Later we enjoyed a home cooked meal at his house and saw the fruit of the fire he was talking about.  He is building a church for the 60 members in one village where they will house a school for 30 kids who are served in an after school tutoring program.  They have plans for similar building projects in two other villages.  In one of the villages the local witch doctor lives next door to their land and daily throws garbage on the property while speaking curses.  One of the highlights of this trip was praying with local believers on the site of this land.  I can honestly say that I felt "the fire" that Pastor Florin was talking about manifested in a deep desire to see God's glory shining in this village where people were enslaved by the occult.  

Meeting with Pastor Florin, hearing his vision for ministry, and experiencing he "fire that burns within". has changed me.  It has caused me to ask myself why the fire that compels him to share the gospel sometimes seems more like an ember within me.  It has caused me to be in awe of the depth of forgiveness which I hear from the Gypsies who are forgiving those who have hurt them because they want to share the gospel with them.  It has caused me to wonder why God has chosen one of the most persecuted, despised people with a tragic history to ignite the flame of revival in Europe. I don't have all the answers but I am sure of one thing.  God is at work among the Roma in Europe and I have a lot to learn from them.  I will be writing more stories of God's work among the Roma in Europe so stay tuned.  If you are interested in hearing how you can be involved, WRITE ME.    

1 comment: